About Me

My photo
He's just this dude, y'know.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

5 AWESOME Things About ME ...Part 2

Here's part Two


2.I think I am obsessed with my hair.

 I dont mean this in a girly kind of way like I wonder what it would look like if it was blonde or permed or whatever else you girls do with it, I mean that a number of significant events in my life have been to do with my hair. Now when I was young I sported a loose afro something like my hero on the right
I think that primarily this was the only style my mum could manage and even then I had to pat my hair round to cover the bald patches. Adults used to comment  "OOOH you have lovely curls", yeah whatever! Kids on the other hand are not so kind. I lived in the middle of nowhere in North Wales and this was not known as a racialy tolerant community, hell they even hated the white English let alone a little black boy so this is what the other kids used to call me(amongst many other things), and to be fair they probably were not a million miles away.

 Later as I hit late teens and started to want to attract the attention of the laydee's I took to having a range of 80's hair styles from the flat top, hi top all the way through to the greatest disaster that was the Jerry Curl.

  Now no longer living in North Wales but in the throbbing metropolis that is Manchester I was able to get my hands on "product". You could find me down on my local market on a Saturday morning getting all kinds of gels, lotions and mouse to make my flowing locks shout "Come and get me laydees, no no no not you with the naked flame". Unfortunately this crime against humanity continued for a number of years and even into my late teens when I was at work, so what, that's nothing you may say but, I know that I have at least one follower of this blog that knew me then as we worked together, I have not seen her in over 20 years BUT I am cringing as I type because I just know she will be nodding and shaking her head remembering the state I used to turn up to work in. One such time I had been to a party on Friday night and wanting to look my best decide that wet look gel just wasn't cutting it by itself so what could I add to give it a little extra Pop.....hhhmm yeah that would do it .........GLITTER. I hang my head now but at the time it was H.O.T 
The worst of that little experience was that I didn't get home until 4;30am and had to be out for work that morning at 7;30 so instead of having a shower and washing my hair then, I thought that I would wear a swimming cap to bed so that all the gunk wouldn't get rubbed into my already pimply skin. Great in theory bad in practice because when I woke up I had a groove around my swollen fore head and no matter what I did in my severely hung over state it just wouldn't shift. All day at work people were asking what was up with the line on my fore head and then they would look at my hair and say "You've got glitter in your  hair haven't you?"
 Now my hair is short, real short. This is for two reasons    a) Its easy and  b)  If I let it grow then I have a 6inch centre parting!!(no surprise with all the crap I have put it through)
Holy crap is that me!!
I was going to say you may want to go get a drink and a bite to eat now, but after that last image....I bet you sicked up in your mouth, no?


4 comments:

Steve said...

I used to have hair down to my waist and a full beard. I thought I looked Heathcliffe-like. The local kids called me Jesus. I got my hair cut shortly afterwards.

joebloggs said...

Steve- Maybe they wanted you to turn their water into wine....Thunderbirds!

Suzanne said...

(Sniggers), you looked fine!

joebloggs said...

Suze- I am sat here thinking thats a "Mmm Mmmmm Mmmmmm yo' a fine piece of man candy!!", on the other hand it could be a "Yeah, yeah, you looked fine love".
Former/later?